My Wild Ride

I was diagnosed with myathenias gravis in September of 2022. I presented with shortness of breath while doing water aerobics. Sounds crazy but I am an excellent swimmer. To feel like I was drowning was a scary experience.

What was happening?

Heart failure was investigated but my heart is just fine. Next came ptosis and that clinched it. I was confirmed by a blood test that it was MG. I am so thankful I did not have to endure months and years of testing for the wrong conditions.

My primary doctor admitted she had never had a patient with MG and recommended me to a neurologist. So I called and found that it would be six to eight months for an appointment. I live in St. Louis, Missouri and thought surely there is a neurologist I can see sooner than that. I called every neurological group associated with a hospital within 50 miles of my home. I made appointments no matter how far out they were. But, I also added my name to a call list for taking cancelled appointments.

Getting my answers, finally

I received a call for a cancellation on January 3, 2023. So I waited for four months. But I threw on my coat and headed to the appointment. I was fortunate that the doctor actually was a specialist for MG. I had no idea how rare this disease is and how few neurologists know how to treat it. I began Vyvgart infusions and Mestinon and went for a CT scan .

The CT scan was positive for a thymoma . So it was decided the thymoma had to come out as soon as possible. I was referred to a cardio thoracic surgeon who by the Grace of God was a specialist in removing thymomas. The Vyvgart infusions had no lasting effect so I was hospitalized and began IVIG infusions.

Things got worse fast!

Meanwhile , my symptoms are multiplying at a very fast rate. I was not able to hold up my head and wore a cervical collar. I had double vision so bad I wore an eyepatch. My arms would not raise above my shoulders, my fingers were frozen, and chewing and swallowing became difficult. I couldn’t sit up from a laying position or dress myself. My surgeon said there would be no surgery unless I was treated aggressively. I would not survive the surgery.

Surgery time...or so I thought

Come February and I am now in full blown crisis. Hospitalized a second time but the neurologist is thinking I’m actually in a coloragenic crisis caused by overdoses of Mestinon. I am now to begin plasma pheresis. I am admitted to the hospital again for 10 days receiving plasma pheresis every other day. I did respond very well to the plasma exchange and was released to have my last two exchanges at an infusion center. Surgery is now a sure thing and I am days out from the surgery.

Then comes April, and I have some mobility back. The infusion center could not get a line in that was large enough to accommodate plasma and I was there two hours trying to have lines put in my arms. The central line in my neck had been removed. I was there two hours repeatedly being stuck.

Finally, I could feel my breathing becoming labored. Paramedics were called and off I went to the ER. Eleven hours later I was readmitted to the hospital where I went into a catastrophic breathing event. I was intubated and put on a ventilator.

Let's try this again

Five days later the surgeon decided I was already ventilated and was stable so the surgery went ahead. I had robotic surgery to remove the thymoma that was cancerous but encapsulated. Two days later I was removed from the ventilator. I’m breathing on my own, very weakly, with a feeding tube. Slowly I’m improving with none of the weakness of MG. I’m receiving pulmonary therapy, PT, therapy for chewing and swallowing.

Early Sunday morning, April 23 I was released from the ICU to go directly home. I’m in a remission now. I have foot drop and am wearing a brace, and I have shakiness. I have shortness of breath on exertion and fatigue. I’m on steroids and low dose of Mestinon.

Where I'm at now

It’s been a month since the surgery. I’m healing up just fine. I’m walking short distances and receiving at home therapy for PT , CT, and wound care. I have been approved to begin seeing a new specialist for MG through the St. Louis University Hospital. It is a clinic specializing in patients with MG. I’m very hopeful this will help me maintain my independence.

I consider myself very fortunate to have survived this traumatic event. I have so much to learn about my triggers and how to live my life with MG. I also am seeking help with my emotional health. The events left me anxious which I know is a trigger for symptoms. I am not discounting any therapy. If it helps me learn to live a more fulfilling life I’m accepting it. I pray all of you will find the help you need. My new mission is to provide support and encouragement to anyone that needs help with an autoimmune disease. I am here for you.
Me and my dog Molly.

By providing your email address, you are agreeing to our privacy policy.

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Join the conversation

Please read our rules before commenting.